Forms & Permits

Burning Permit:

Dog License:

Pursuant to WI Stat. 174.052, notice is hereby given to all Washburn County dog owners that you are required to license and vaccinate for rabies, under provisions of WI Stat. 95.21(2), any dog over 5 months of age. (Statute defines a “dog owner” as anyone who owns, harbors or keeps a dog.) The license year is defined as January 1 – December 31.

Minimum Dog License fees are as follows:

$10.00 for spayed or neutered dogs

$15.00 for unspayed or unneutered dogs

$5.00 late fee per dog

Multiple dog license fees are: $50.00 for up to 12 dogs and $5.00 for each additional dog.

For Town of Birchwood residents, dog license and tags can be obtained either by mail at N1549 Co. Hwy. T, Birchwood, WI 54817 or at the Clerk’s office, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. If you want your tag(s) sent to you, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment. A copy of the updated rabies vaccination record is needed before a dog license can be issued.

Owners who fail to license or vaccinate a dog pursuant to the above statutes are subject to citation and forfeiture. A list of delinquent unlicensed dogs is now required to be submitted to the County by April 15th of every year. The fine is $150.00 per dog plus $150.00 for dogs without rabies vaccination.

If you no longer have a dog(s), please contact the Town of Birchwood Clerk/Treasurer and the records will be updated.


Driveway permits are needed in the Town of Birchwood for anyone within the Township that is putting in a new driveway, modifying an existing driveway – includes driveways to a house or field roads - or needing a building permit. A Driveway Permit is needed before applying for a building permit. Permits for access of County Roads, contact the Town Hall 715-354-7047, permits for access of Town Roads, contact Town of Birchwood Patrolman at 715-354-7047.

Mail Boxes:

Placement of mail boxes are specified within the Township ordinances. All mail boxes on Township road right of ways are strongly encouraged to be mounted on a swing arm type of post with the lowest part of the assembly 42" above the road and the post at least 2 feet back of the road shoulder. Any mail box that does not meet these requirements may be removed by the Township and billed to the property owner. For questions about mail box placement, please contact the Town Chairman.

New Homes and Buildings/Remodeling Existing Structures:

Anyone within the Town of Birchwood that is planning on building a new home, addition or any type of building must obtain the proper permits from the Town of Birchwood and Washburn County. If you have further questions, please contact the Town Chairman or Washburn County Zoning Department 715-468-4690. All building permits and re-zoning issues are handled by the Washburn County Zoning Department. The Town’s UDC (Uniform Dwelling Code) Inspector is Jon Mattson of Atlas Inspections. Information on required dwelling permits for new homes or additions to existing homes can be obtained by contacting Jon at 715-554-2305 or 715-648-5444.

Permits/Licenses needed in the Town of Birchwood:

Building Permit       obtain from Washburn County Zoning

Fireworks Permit   obtain from Town of Birchwood Chairman

Home Inspection    obtain from Jon Mattson

Sanitary Permit       obtain from  Washburn County Zoning

Driveway Permit for access of Town Road, obtain from Town of Birchwood Patrolman at 715-354-7047

Driveway Permit for access of County Road, obtain from Town of Birchwood 715-354-7047

Alcohol Licenses – if you plan to sell alcohol beverages at retail you will need a license. The Town, Village or City where the business is located is normally responsible for issuing these licenses. Alcohol/Tobacco Licenses are required for businesses in the Town of Birchwood. Please contact the Clerk/Treasurer to obtain the required forms. Department of Revenue website:

Alcohol Forms: 

Information Pamphlet: